AOH DENNIS E. COLLINS DIVISION 1
OBITUARY AND HISTORY (ABOUT DENNIS E. COLLINS)
Dennis E. Collins, a former High Sheriff and resident of 1 Potter Street, Newport, Rhode Island he died after a long illness at the Chelsea Naval Hospital. He was honored before his passing by the Division #1 Ancient Order of Hibernians, which named the division after him. He was the society's past president and at the time of his death was the State AOH treasurer.
Mr. Collins was a veteran of World War II. He enlisted in the Navy in 1922 and rose to the rank of Chief Warrant Officer. During his career he was an instructor at the Naval Torpedo Station and was later an instructor to the Royal Air Force in London, England. He served in the Pacific theater in 1944 and 1945. While in service to his country he was awarded six battle stars. In 1946 he transferred to the Naval Reserves.
Dennis, a Democrat, was elected from the Fourth Ward to the old Representative Council for a two-year tern. His commitment impressed then Governor John A. Notte who appointed him as High Sheriff in 1961. In addition to the A.O.H., Mr. Collins was a member of the General Rosecrans Assembly, Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus. He was a member of the Fleet Reserve Association and Saint Augustin's Holy Name Society.
Born in Newport, a son of James and Mary Lahiff Collins, he was a bachelor. Dennis Collins was survived by two brothers John P. of Middletown and James A of Newport, four sisters Mary T., Helen M. and Elizabeth R. with whom he made his home and Dorothy C. Fellows of Binghampton, N.Y. and nieces and nephews.
His funeral took place on a Saturday from O'Neill Funeral Home with a mass of Christian Burial from St. Augustin's Church. The celebrant was Rev. Joseph Coleman. In attendance was then High Sheriff John McGann and members of the Sisters of Mercy. He was buried in St. Columba's Cemetery as Rev. Pastor Steven Callahan read the prayers. Military honors were given with a firing squad and bugler from the Naval Station.